The Viscount Florens de Castellane, heir of one of the oldest families in France, established his Champagne house in Epernay.
Visionary and resolute to promote his brand to the eyes of the world, he chose as his logo the red "Saint-Andrews" cross as a tribute to the standard of the oldest regiment in the Champagne region.
The "Tout-Paris" Champagne
Boni de Castellane, cousin of the Visount, is in charge of the distribution in Paris and rapidly makes it the champagne of choice for the Parisian "Smart-Set" during the Belle-Epoque period.
In theaters, upper restaurants, de Castellane is poured in the most trendy places...
The first "Advertising Poster"
In 1902, the House de Castellane asked the famous Italian painter Leonetto Cappiello to design its first "advertising poster". Since then de Castellane has developed a real patronage of poster art with an incredible collection of paintings and posters.
Directed by Fernand Mérand, the "Union Champenoise" acquired de Castellane and integrate it in its imposing buildings located on the famous "Avenue de Champagne". The brand de Castellane is preserved. Thanks to its prestige and great notoriety, the "Union Champenoise" company is finally renamed to "Champagne de Castellane".
"After France, the World"
Alexandre Mérand, son of Fernand, who owned his champagne house, bought de Castellane in 1927. Not only focused on the French market but also the world, he started to export de Castellane all around : London, Brussels, Berlin, Stockholm, New-York, Alexandria, Sydney... de Castellane was now in the biggest cities in the world.
The early death of Alexandre Mérand obliged his family to take-over the company, under the direction of his daugther Claude Mérand, married to Bernard de Nonancourt, owner and Director of Champagne Laurent-Perrier.
The Laurent-Perrier group
de Castellane entered the Laurent-Perrier group and is still owned and managed by the Nonancourt's family.